• We will be in Cartagena, Columbia June 11 - 16, 2024. Responses may be delayed during this time. Follow our travels on Instagram!

Passport & Visa

Know Before You Go

You are responsible for obtaining the proper travel documents for the destinations on your itinerary

All information below is provided as a reference and is subject to change. Check with your airline, the US State Department and the consulate of your destinations for the most up-to-date requirements.

Domestic Travel

Government-Issued Photo ID

For domestic travel in the United States and Puerto Rico, all adult travelers 18 years and older must present government-issued photo ID such as a driver’s license for check-in at the airport.

For travel to the territories of the US Virgin Islands, an additional proof of US citizenship, such as an original US birth certificate or a US passport, is also required for all travelers regardless of age.

Please check with the airline for additional information on acceptable forms of identification and for information on unaccompanied minors. The airlines reserve the right to deny boarding to anyone with insufficient documentation.

International Travel


For international travel outside the United States, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands, all US citizens (including infants and children) are required to have a valid US passport for entry into the United States. US Passports must be valid for at least an additional six months after the passport holder’s scheduled return to the US. This includes air travel to and from Canada. Driver’s licenses and birth certificates are no longer accepted as proof of US citizenship for international travel.

Passport applications are available at most U.S. Post Offices, as well as at regional Passport Agencies. Information on passport applications, where to apply, forms, fees, requirements, and emergency application services are available from the US State Department’s travel website www.travel.state.gov or by calling 1-877-487-2278.

Please allow a minimum of 10 weeks for processing a passport application, and possibly longer during the busy season. Check the US State Department passport website www.travel.state.gov passport for current processing times.

Non-US citizens, including permanent residents with “green cards,” must verify entry and visa requirements with the nearest consulate of each destination country.


Some countries require a visa for US Passport holders. If a visa is required and cannot be obtained upon arrival in your destination, you should make arrangements with the appropriate foreign consular representative, allowing enough time for mailing and processing.

Passengers requiring visas, whether obtained in advance or locally upon arrival, should ensure that their passport has unstamped visa pages.

Special Requirements

Children Leaving the US

To ensure the safety of children around the world, countries have adopted special requirements to protect children traveling abroad. If a child is traveling outside the United States and is not accompanied by BOTH parents or BOTH legal guardians, certain documentation and authorization are required:

  • For single parent travel: A notarized letter of permission from the non-traveling parent or legal guardian authorizing travel with the other parent or legal guardian on the authorized foreign itinerary.
  • When no parents are traveling: Notarized letters of permission from both parents or both legal guardians authorizing travel with the accompanying adult(s) on the authorized foreign itinerary
  • Official forms and paperwork from the consulate of the destination(s) may be required before departure from the US.
  • Certified translations into the language of the destination(s) may be required before departure from the US.

Regulations vary by country. Contact the consulate or embassy of each country for the latest legal requirements, child age limits and required forms.

Additional Information

Double Entry/ Multiple Entry Visas

If your itinerary involves entering a country, leaving and then later re-entering the same country, you may require a double-entry or multiple entry visa. Be sure to describe your itinerary clearly when contacting a foreign consular representative.

Non U.S. Citizens

All information provided pertains to U.S. passport holders only. Non-U.S. Citizens should check with the appropriate foreign consular representative.

Cruise Passengers

Passengers on cruises should check carefully the requirements for each country to be visited on their sailing itinerary. Passengers without the correct documentation may be denied boarding at time of embarkation. Passengers may contact their cruise line directly for information but remain responsible to obtain any necessary visas.